Wednesday, October 12, 2016

HANNA VON GOELER



I have been painting on money for more than twenty years, re-shaping its content and context in order to question a prevailing emphasis on money in our world. Working on paper notes has also allowed me to explore ethical, political and aesthetic questions that surround notions of agency and currency. As an artist, currency is my medium of exchange with you. My currency is painting and drawing, my mind, ideas and spirit. Money is what is there, currency is what I have added. Painting on money gives me some power to determine (rather than be controlled by) money’s function within society. This relates to the concept of agency; it explores the extent to which we have the power to define (rather than be defined by) the currencies in our culture.
LINK phoebus.nl 

No comments: